|Back to Why Do We Dream|
- Not all dreams occur during REM sleep.
- Dreams were first considered to be caused by indigestion or evil spirits.
- Egyptians created dream dictionaries.
- The first written dreams were in 4000 BC.
- One third of our lives is spent sleeping.
- In the Roman Era, striking and significant dreams were submitted to the Senate for analysis and interpretation.
- Studies have shown that our brain waves are more active when we are dreaming than when we are awake.
- Dreamers who are awakened right after REM sleep, are able to recall their dreams more vividly than those who slept through the night until morning.
- Researchers found that during dreaming REM sleep, males experience erections and females experience increased vaginal blood flow - no matter what the content of the dream. In fact, "wet dreams" may not necessarily coincide with overtly sexual dream content.
- If you are snoring, then you cannot be dreaming.
- Nightmares are common in children, typically beginning at around age 3 and occurring up to age 7-8.
- In a poll, 67% of Americans have experienced Deja Vu in their dreams, occurring more often in females than males.
- Sleep experts say that counting sleep may actually contribute to sleeplessness rather than entice sleep.
- The average adult requires between 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
- Contrary to what may seem logical, vigorous exercising late in the evening raises certain hormone levels, along with your body temperature, both of which make falling asleep more difficult.
- Prior to the invention of the light bulb, people slept on average for 10 hours a night. Today, people average 6-7 hours of sleep per night.
- More than 18 million people suffer from sleep apnea, a breathing disorder in which there are actual lapses in breathing as a person sleeps.
- Approximately 100,000 car crashes are caused each year by drowsy drivers. These accidents result in more than 1,500 fatalities.
- The quality of your sleep is just as important as getting the right amount of sleep.
- About 40% of adults snore.
- A cat sleeps about 12 hours a day.
- A dog sleeps between 10 and 11 hours daily.
- A giraffe sleeps only about 2 hours each day.
- A person will actually die from a lack of sleep before they would from starvation. Starvation would take about two weeks whereas a lack of sleep would prove fatal after only 10 days.
- You actually burn more calories sleeping than you do watching tv.
- Research proves that what we learn right before going to sleep is actually remembered longer than what we learn at any other time.
- It takes the typical person 7 minutes to fall asleep.
- The temperature of your room has an effect on your dreams. The colder the room, the worse the dreams.
- The average person has five dreams a night.
Back to Top
Home ~ Edgar Cayce ~ Lucid Dream History ~ True Lucid Dream Experiences ~ Nightmares ~ Night Terrors ~ Sleepwalking ~ Jungian Dream Interpretation ~ Dream Facts ~ Reincarnation ~ Near Death Experience ~ Resources
Contact the Web Master
Most information on this page has been gathered from the Public Domain
All Information Presented Here Is True & Accurate To The Best Of My Ability
Any material appearing with a copyright © notice is NOT public domain.